Full-time or part-time, Permanent contract
About the role
Studio 24 is looking for someone with strong PHP skills, a collaborative and supportive mindset, and good soft skills who is interested in a senior developer role at a small business where they can make a difference.
The Senior PHP Developer role creates web applications for our clients, works on custom development and plugins for CMSs we work with, and provides technical expert advice to our clients.
Other technologies we work with, which would be nice to have experience in (but you can learn with us) include: Laravel, Symfony, API development, Progressive Web Apps (PWA), WordPress, Craft CMS, Vue.js, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch.
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Confidently communicate with clients to understand goals and requirements and translate these to a robust technical architecture and solution
- Clearly plan technical projects, to assist the team in knowing what work needs to be done to meet project goals
- Create high-quality code to budget, including unit and integration testing
- Contribute to the sales phase and proposals
- Support your colleagues through mentoring, peer review and training
- Have a desire for continous learning and keeping up to date with current best practises and technologies
If you’re not sure you have all the above skills we’d encourage you to apply. We’re not expecting the successful applicant to have all these skills, we’re happy to support people to learn and expand their skills at Studio 24.
We believe in flexibility and supporting staff to do their best work. Our preference is for full-time though we may consider part-time hours (4 days a week) if that works best for you. Normal full-time hours are 37.5 hours a week with flexible working hours within the week.
We currently have a hybrid work pattern, with working remote the default and the team coming into the office for meetings, to collaborate, or just to have a different work environment. There is no expectation of regular in-office working, though we do want you to be able to meet up when needed.
We are looking for someone based in the UK for this role, it’s expected that you are able to travel for client meetings when required and when it’s safe to do so (normally Cambridge and London).
Studio 24 is a user-centred digital studio who pride ourselves on creating high quality digital solutions, where we put accessibility and user experience at the forefront of our work. We’re proud of working with a range of clients, across public sector, charity, arts/culture and science/tech industries to create brilliant websites and digital services. Recent clients include W3C, UK Parliament and Cambridge University Botanic Garden. Our studio is based in Cambridge, UK.
You can find out more on what it’s like to work at Studio 24 on our careers page.
Senior Developer responsibilities
We don’t expect you to have all these skills when you join since there will be opportunity to learn at Studio 24. The following is a reflection of the type of work this role will cover.
- Tech Lead on projects, helping oversee and guide the technical work on a project and ensure it meets user needs and business goals
- Strategy, planning and consultancy work (discovery projects, digital consultancy and research)
- Understanding client business problems, problem solving and advising clients on how best to achieve their goals and user needs
- Client liaison and communications
- Planning web projects and estimating work
- Technical architecture / systems architecture planning
- Data modelling
- PHP development in Laravel and Symfony
- Vue.js for complex single-page apps (e.g. interactive maps)
- APIs and data integration/migration
- Headless CMS integration
- Testing web applications
- Client support
The role has a salary range of £39,000 to £52,000, based on skills and experience. We have a pay scale system at Studio 24 to ensure everyone is paid fairly and equally.
- We are a friendly team with an inclusive and supportive working environment. We run regular staff culture surveys and always score highly for fairness, respect, empowerment, pride in our work and positive relationships.
- We take work-life balance seriously, and rarely work more than our contracted hours. On the rare occasion this may be required, time in lieu is given.
- We take our staff’s mental wellbeing seriously and have two trained mental-health first aiders who provide support and guidance to our colleagues.
- We offer flexible working hours, because we understand that life happens! So whether you need to manage your work around family life, or if you are not a morning person and like to start a little later, or if you want to finish early to get to the gym – you can.
- You can choose to work from home or our office (though we do encourage staff to come into the office to collaborate). We have a home office equipment budget to ensure you have an healthy setup, wherever you work.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, this increases after two years service up to 30 days off a year.
- Free eye tests and flu jabs.
- We invest in your training via courses, conferences and time to self-study.
- We get together for events and lunches (in-person and virtual).
- Company Day out of the office twice a year to talk strategy and improvement.
- Free local benefits (free entry to Cambridge Botanic Garden and Cambridge Film Festival as part of our corporate sponsorship).
Apply for this role
Please apply for this job online (link coming soon). You’ll need to send us your CV or résumé and a covering letter telling us why you think you’re right for this role.
You can also apply via email by sending an email with your CV or résumé attached.
Studio 24 recognises the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.
There is no closing date for this job role, we are interviewing people on an ongoing basis. All applications we receive will be treated equally.